Ron Dinsdale was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa in 1945 and spent his childhood on a farm outside Webster City, Iowa. He attended Webster City Junior College from 1965-67, then the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls from 1967-68, where he studied mathematics. In 1968 he entered the military service and was trained as Combat Troop (Airborn). He served in the U.S. Army in Mainz, West Germany, as squad leader and legal clerk. He received an honorable discharge as Sargent E-5 in 1970. He began his work in sculpture in 1970, upon his return to the United States from West Germany.
He studied and taught as an assistant for Ceramics Shell Investment and Basic Sculpture courses, 1972-74, at Mankato State University, Mankato, MN. From there he received a bachelor of science degree in elementary and secondary art education in 1974. Since 1973, he spent several periods in Europe, teaching art and mathematics at the American International School in Vienna. In 1974, he moved to Carrara, Italy and studied marble at the Studio Artistici Marmi Apuani with Jean Bartolli. He returned to Iowa in 1975 and continued his 34-year teaching career in Webster City and at Valley High School in West Des Moines until retiring. He currently lives in Huxley, Iowa.